Career Support & Computer Lab
*** The Computer Lab is currently closed due to COVID-19***
Check back for updates on scheduling a time to use the computer lab.
Job Search Assistance
Our computer lab, Job Seekers support group, and one-on-one help will get you out on the market with your interview clothes, resumé, and goals ready to go! Our goal is to make women financially independent for their future.
Some people get really nervous and unprepared when they have to look for a job. They know how to work and work hard, but how do they find the right job where they treat you good, pay a decent wage, and don’t treat you like dirt when the car won’t start or the sitter won’t show up or you turn up sick?
Here are some of the things she can help you with, if you choose:
- Figuring out what kind of job would pay you enough for doing what you love, so it wouldn’t even feel like work!
- How to figure out what in your background, education, interests, independent study, training, other jobs you’ve held, stuff you did in school, and simple life experience from unpaid work proves you’d be great for that job
- How to put down on paper the evidence that you’d be GREAT! at that job in a format that meets the employer’s needs.
- What to say in the cover letter.
- How to ace the interview, using the S/CAR method.
- Whether / if / how much to disclose about “barriers” to getting hired.
- …and what if they want someone who’s bilingual, or has a master’s degree, and other stuff that you don’t have?
- How to get references who’ll say good things about you?
- How to learn if this company is your kind of place, with a good corporate culture.
What do you say? Willing to give it a try?
On-Going Support & Opportunities
There are many opportunities for women to continue getting the support they need as they transition their lives. From counseling to support groups, to volunteering in the Center, there is no hard and fast “graduation” from the Women’s Center. Our past clients make wonderful volunteers and we love to see them grow.
10 Job Search Myths You Shouldn’t Believe
Searching for a job is stressful, especially when there are a lot of misconceptions about job searching floating around.
Although every individual has their own strategy, there are some red flags you should be aware of during your job search. As the job market becomes more competitive and industries evolve and change, it’s important to stay on top of the latest hiring trends in your field.
As you prepare for your job search, empower yourself by recognizing these job search myths:
Women’s Center Services:
Our certified counselors and interns can work with you one-on-one to help you figure out future career plans and possibilities. They can also educate you about economic resources and ways to plan for the future. Our career services include:
- Career counseling
- Customized job search assistance
- Resume and cover letter preparation
- Economic education and planning
- Work Your Image seminars
- Computer lab
Call us at 517-372-9163 to set up an appointment.